Friday 25 January 2013

Preconceptions Influence what we See ( from Yousra)

In this article, we understood the concept that ignorance makes us see things differently. For example, I want to use this stop sign as an example. Obviously, it is written in Arabic: STOP. However, I remember in 10th grade, a new international student asked me about the meaning of the sign by
asking me what is was. I simply stated that it was a stop sign with STOP written in Arabic, and for me it was an obvious answer. Since she could not read Arabic she shared with me her completely different perspective of the sign. To her it looked as if two people were playing with a sledge, and
that is what she believed until that very moment when I revealed the truth about it. This shows that ignorance doesn't leads us anywhere so we try to find the truth through something familiar. Maybe the stop sign for that girl was quite intimidating so she had to find a secure answer that would justify it or see meaning or beauty from another perspective, her own. These 'revelations' do not only happen with stop signs. For example, when I read novels that interest me and they become popular enough to be translated to a movie, sometimes, I refuse to watch these movies because I know the film is going to ruin my perception of the main character. From the day you watch the movie, which is from the filmmaker's point of view, you are going to be influenced by it, and whenever you hear the name of the character you will immediately think of the actor and not the image that you created in your head. Therefore, I agree that sometimes truth restricts our perception not in terms of knowledge but in terms of conceiving our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment