Saturday 12 January 2013

Defining art

As learned, a word can have both a denotative and a connotative meaning.  The connotation of a word is determined by one's perception of the word.  For me for instance, art refers more to the visual arts than anything else because I have liked to draw and paint since I was little, and although I have played an instrument and sang a little bit, it was art that I enjoyed most. 
Do feelings influence how we define words? 

Denotations of arttaken from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/art
  1. the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.
  2. the class of objects subject to aesthetic criteria; works of art collectively, as paintings, sculptures, or drawings: a museum of art; an art collection.  
  3. a field, genre, or category of art: Dance is an art.   
  4. any field using the skills or techniques of art: advertising art; industrial art.
On what basis or criteria would you decide whether something is art?   

Art makes me think of the Mona Lisa, beautiful Renaissance paintings, a surrealist installation, a trumpet, and dancing children.  What does the word art make you think of? 

Does the origin of words matter?  Do definitions of words change over time? 

3 comments:

  1. I think the focal point of the concept of art, is that it is endless. Art can be anything. And since art is a concept, and ideal, and ideas are indestructible, are cannot be confined to a set of rules or guidelines that categorize what art is and isn't. Musical covers are art, they are merely interpretations of an original work, that are as original as the work itself. Originality is a finite thing, so it cannot be expected that art be always and exclusively original. Also, the fact that art has to be beautiful is both ridiculous and absurd. A horrendous piece of art is just as artistic as the Mona Lisa, because it provokes the opposite reaction, which is essential for the existence of the original one. I believe that art should not have limits of restrictions, are can be anything, it is limitless and encompasses everything that the artist wishes it to ecompass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't quite think that the origins of words really matter in some cases. In the case of art, its denotative definition is simply a guideline to shine light on a concept that is very difficult to grasp at times. People are constantly asking themselves the question "What is Art?". Art is very much like history in some aspects: it changes over time, but repeats itself in numerous ways. Art's definition has changed tremendously over time; we've come to see a great deal of art in mundane things, such as old rusted bicycle pieces or white canvases with a few blots of color. These new perspectives and liberal outlooks on art have evolved along with society. Art has gone through an extraordinary amount of phases, from realism, to cubism, to abstract impressionism, to minimalism. But something tells me that these phases are an on-going cycle, and that eventually, we will go back to art forms and styles from the past. After the "minimalist phase", we will grow tired of seeing beauty in "unexciting" objects and go back to creating huge, intricate and elaborate frescos-- perhaps not necessarily painting religious "scenarios", but finding other themes, settings and subject matters to depict.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art... so HARD to define... For me it's primarily literature because I'm interested in that process by which me reading creates experiences and thoughts in my head I would not otherwise have had. I can be sitting in a boring place (most recently Heathrow airport) and actually BE somewhere else, doing other stuff IN MY HEAD. This astonishes and intrigues me. Paintings, dance, music make me feel awe but don't take me to other places and don't give me thoughts. I'd have to explain them to someone, or read about them before I could be hooked. Next best for me is theatre because in this I find language, visual art and experience fused. It's like reading - but shared with others - less isolating.

    ReplyDelete