Thursday 10 January 2013

Art and Truth- Shera response

I must admit that the power and that the impact of the work of artists is indeed considerable. However, I do not agree with the fact that artists have a responsibility to convey the truth. Like mentioned in the articles, there are several different ways to convey the truth, and to be honest, in my point of view, the sole purpose of art is to please our eyes. As it was stated in the article, what truth can be expressed in art that cannot be expressed in a sentence? Although language is flawed (as we have previously learned in TOK class), due to misinterpretations and connotations (and other factors), we are able to convey the truth through language. Aren't we? Later on in the text, the author made a point about how addicted we were in finding the truth, and I definitely agree. I don't understand the need for us to direct everything in order to find a deeper meaning, a truth. Art is there to please, whether it is music, literature, art, drama. We take pleasure in seeing, reading, or attending this things, and if we are so preoccupied in finding the truth, we will not be able to have that pleasure. Indeed, if art always represented truth, then we would be diminishing art to a simple report on life and true thing in our lives. As I stated earlier though, this is not the point of art! In fact, if we did have to look for the truth in each painting, writing of literature, or play that we watched, we would be so focused on the truth that we will not be enjoying the art itself. In the story "Life on the Mississippi", as the character start understanding the language of water (just like the language of art), he was able to travel and avoid all the dangers in the river. However he was not able to actually appreciate the river and the water as art, which it used to be, before he understood the truth. This can be effectively conveyed through this line, "But I had lost something too. I had lost that which could never be restored to me while I lived." As a result, if we do not want the romance and the beauty to disappear from art, we must not focus on the truth since it is (honestly) irrelevant and would only diminish the art itself.

1 comment:

  1. Keats (the poet) said 'Beauty is truth, truth beauty' and perhaps the relationship between aesthetic pleasure and truth is fundamental? What gives me pleasure in art - of all kinds - is often that stab of recognition. I apprehend the beauty but I simultaneously recognize that the artist identified something true. For me it very hard to separate them.

    ReplyDelete