Saturday 12 January 2013

Painting of Sunset on River

Sonnenuntergang am Fluss bei Albert Bierstadt in relation to the river described in the article "Life on the Mississippi:" 

Source: http://www.handgemalt24.de/Sonnenuntergang-am-Fluss-von-Albert-Bierstadt-21521

I love this landscape painting - it captures a very specific setting that hardly any photograph can capture.  Paintings like these, to me, are very truthful because they fill me with wonder about the pieces of real life that are complete in their own way.  The visual representation of an atmosphere or feeling is overwhelmingly powerful, I believe. 

How different or similar is the image of the river in your imagination from this Ölgemälde (oil painting)? 

1 comment:

  1. I find the painting - like sunsets sometimes - very intense, but also scary. Something to do with the dramatic change in light and how it arouses feelings I don't know how to deal with. I cannot look at a sunset for too long.. The night clouds scudding across the sky, bringing darkness remind me of death...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2jxjv0HkwM

    ReplyDelete