Sunday 13 January 2013

Is Photography Art?


"Lunch Atop A Skyscraper" (1932)


I am a big lover of black and white photography. I’ve always seen it as a way into a past world that we will never be able to access; a time-traveling device, of sorts. There is something about monochromatic photographs that ignite in me a wonderful sense of comfort, yet at the same time the sense that they carry some kind of untranslatable mystery or secret. But are these pictures really art?
When you think about it, photography is just the “art” of capturing a moment in life that we have no control over-- something that is already in existence, something that has not been created by ourselves. Anyone can buy a camera, become a “photographer” and call themselves an artist. Is it ethical to take a picture of everyday life and give ourselves the credit for capturing that moment, even though it is not truly of our making?
Perhaps my relationship with photography makes me naturally inclined to believe so, but I think that there is much more to photography than taking pictures of anything you consider aesthetically beautiful. There is contrast, value, balance, line and even texture in every photograph. It is true that the subject matter and the content presented in a photograph is already naturally present-- a human, for example, is not designed or constructed by another human for the purpose of art-- but the composition, the angle and the lighting are almost always in the hands of the photographer. A professional photograph can be distinguished from an amateur one using these criteria. It is those photographs which capture the rarest glimpses of the world’s beauty-- with just the right lighting and a perfect balance (or imbalance) in the composition-- that can steal your breath away. Photography is about the intention of the artist; it is about procuring emotions, thoughts and other images into the viewer’s head. This is what I consider art.
If you are still not convinced, then think about the artistic movement of Impressionism. Weren’t these paintings just an old-fashioned form of photography? Impressionists sought to capture everyday moments-- from children running around in a park to customers eating croissants at a café-- with their brushstrokes. These scenarios and landscapes did not emerge from their heads, but came from observation. Conventional artists (painters, sculptors, etc...) are just as much observers as photographers. Photography is simply another medium of seizing the world’s beauty.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you, as an IB art student I think I developed a different perspective of art through all these aesthetic criteria like for example the contrasts of color in a painting, shadows, uniformity etc... We all have different perceptions however as to what we consider art in photography, since some people might prefer black and white photography, other landscapes or perhaps more ambiguous styles with blurred images. I personally like less distinct photography that gives place to imagination and I think that is what's a form of art as you mentioned; it is that there is so much facets to photography and it evokes so many memories and emotions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no relation whatsoever with photography and honestly I never pondered over it as an art form until you expressed how much it meant to you.I guess art is like that-subjective and in the eyes of the beholder. While someone may have never considered photography an art, your passion for it shows that indeed for you, art is photography and photography is art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you Alia. I have always considered photography to be art because it is not just the act of taking a picture. Anyone can take a picture. I've taken many photographs but I do not consider myself a photographer. To me, what distinguishes a professional from an amateur is the reaction that a person has when seeing the photo. I love photography because it is the art of capturing an existing and simple moment and turning it into something that appears to be extraordinary. A true photographer, an artist, has the power of doing that. As you said, it all depends on the technicalities. Two images can be identical but the lighting will make the entire difference. Photography is just another art form; it requires skill and passion because it is not just taking a pretty photograph, it is the art of making it matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post - and comments... I too love black and white photographs best, and the older they are the more poignant. I find the notion of staring back through time - having a window on the past - extraordinary and very moving...

    ReplyDelete