Tuesday 8 April 2014

Reasoning the Existence of an Afterlife

The existence of a time of living after our unavoidable deaths is a topic constantly debated between people of different backgrounds, religions, and opinions. In this post, I will show reasoning as to why I believe in an afterlife without presenting the usual religious argument of "it just does because I believee in it".

Firstly, I should explain that my entire theory is based off of the existence of memory. I'll give a small-scale scenario to explain before getting to the hard-to-explain nity gritty of the basis of my theory. Imagine that, at some point in life, you go through a horrible accident that leaves you with amnesia. Everything before that moment seems to have never existed, right? The you in the past from the frame of time you have forgotten due to your condition should not have any idea what's going on and you should "wake up" with only memories before the accident. The events you have forgottens till happened, you just don't remember them.

Now that the scenario has been layed out (hopefully I didn't make it too confusing to understand...) now I'll tie it to my theory of the existence of the afterlife. Take the amnesia scenario above, only replace the memories you have lost with your entire life and the accident that gave you amnesia with death. If there weren't any moments after death, how could we have a conscious memory since, if my scenario is relatable, we shouldn't have any consciousness of anything that is happening or has happened in our lives? Since (hopefully) all of us have a conscious memory of our lives, there must be some eternal side of our lives in which we continue to keep the memory of our lives. If there wasn't, we would have the "wake up" moment with no memory minus the waking up part. There would be nothing at all. Through this reasoning, I believe there is a time after death in which  we are able to keep our memories. Whether it be Heaven, Hell, whatever, there should be some form of life after death. The only problem I have with my theory is that only the individual person can say whether or not they have a consciousness of their life experiences. I can say "yes, I have a conscious memory of my life, so there must be an afterlife" but anyone readings his can't know this because it's MY memory. Maybe I won't be in any place after I die, but the events that I have "forgotten" due to the "amnesia" still happened, even if I don't remember them, everyone else involved does remember.

On another note, I'd like to explain how my theory fits with the belief of reincarnation. Say there was someone named John Smith who has lived a life full of experiences and memories but, like all of us will, ultimately dies. He is then reincarnated as a new person named Bob Jones but has absolutely no memories of his past life as John Smith. The death is like amnesia, Bob can't remember his life as John but the events of John's life still happened, so the "afterlife" for John would be his life as Bob.

To conclude, I'd just like to apologize if my explanation of my theory is very confusing. I am still trying to get to a point where I can easily explain it without so much confusion as it is a very tough thought process to describe with words.

1 comment:

  1. I really like your amnesia analogy, but I'm not sure I understand why this lends credence to the notion of an after-life? Some people who believe in reincarnation claim to be able to recall previous lives under hypnotism, but when they remember being an Egyptian princess (as a former neighbor once told me) or Napoleon's sub-lieutenant or something, I feel this is a bit unlikely… However, keeping an open mind is important and I think it would be wonderful if some 'proof' of reincarnation were discovered - someone revealing memories that were afterwards authenticated by historical accounts, or speaking ancient Greek or whatever...

    ReplyDelete